Shelby Madden

Exploring my limits with a bike and big (potentially dumb) ideas!

It's just that time of year!

The days are longer and the events are rolling out and I get to ride my bike sans the bondage of a stationary trainer! This last weekend I did a little ride called the Alpine Challenge and nearly killed myself doing it. The Alpine Challenge is an annual fundraiser organized by Ed and Dawn Paul and the Alpine Kiwanis. The proceeds form the event finance two years of college or continuing education for at least two high school students. The deal is, these students must pledge to live a drug/crime-free life, graduate from high school in their scheduled year and meet admission requirements for post-secondary education. The cool thing about the charity is that they choose high school freshman and mentor them throughout their 4 years to ensure their success. As a teacher, I think it's awesome!

Last year I did the 25 mile option, and this year I was easily talked into the 60 mile ride by my buddy Anne who then ended up with an injured hamstring so I was on my own for this one. I was actually really nervous. I know the area well enough to know that it was going to be a difficult ride and I usually only do about 45 miles out there so I was making a little jump with this 60 miles. My apologies to those of you that got the "I'm scared" texts at the crack of dawn but I'm pretty sure it will happen again.

The Alpine Challenge is always really well organized with great volunteers and an incredible SAG complete with clothing drop off. I made it to the first SAG knowing I was going to shed 3 of my four layers and announced, "I'm ready to get naked!" Turned out they remembered me from last year :) I have to say the ride was TOUGH for me but I guess that's why they refer to it as a "Challenge." I did get to chat with some great people along the way and I think my favorite conversation came when I had just finished climbing up what is referred to as "The Wall" somewhere around the 33 mile mark. The guy I was riding near shared with me that according to the ride profile it should all be pretty much downhill from there. My experience has taught me that there never seems to be a point when you're riding out in east county that it's "all down hill from here;" there always seems to be one more hill to climb and at 33 miles into it, I knew he couldn't be right but I didn't have the heart to tell him. Then again, I get to the point where speed bumps and driveways feel like insurmountable land forms so who am I to bust his bubble. He probably cruised it from there.

I tried to take some pictures like my friends do on their solo rides but the shots didn't turn out at all. Here's a self portrait. I was trying to capture that it was GU that was keeping me alive but all you get is my eye.

How do people do those?

And the scenery was incredible but this is what I captured of it

stunning.
After the ride I spent some quality, silly time with Bill, J.B, Dawn and Ed (and some guys from a bike club that I'm going to meet up with in a few weeks- they promised me a slow group-I should've confirmed that it takes more than one to make a group, right?)

Let me explain this picture. JB and Bill kept smelling perfume and they were convinced it was me wearing it so they kept attacking me, trying to smell my neck-so gross! I NEVER wear perfume and trust me, after 60 miles in the east county sun, it was definitely not me smelling like roses. I'm cringing to keep them away

Dawn Paul and Bill Holland checkin' out the happenings and pretending not to notice I'm taking their picture.

Snugglin' up with my funny big buddy, "Sparkly" Joe (J.B.)

I love these local, community sponsored events. They have this collective goal with a small town spirit that makes hanging out afterward just as much fun as the ride itself. However, the most exciting part about this ride for me came from a training perspective. Even though I felt wrecked at the end of it and could barely walk that evening, I woke up feeling pretty darn good and even did an easy 25 miles of riding the following day with Travis. In the past, this would've been almost impossible; it would take me days to recover after something so difficult. I'm getting stronger, maybe not faster but definitely stronger and that was a HUGE confidence boost for me! It was the first moment where I felt like if I continue to be conservative and build my miles, I may actually have enough in this little body to pull off that 620 miles! I've got a long way to go but dang, I was thrown a bone!

So, the next stop is Wildflower. I was originally signed up to do this as my first olympic distance triathlon but decided this wasn't a good year for it if I was really going to try to accomplish the MDC ride in October. However, at the last minute Scout informed me her relay team needed a biker. How could I resist?! With Spokane people coming down, Tri Club people taking over the place and CAF friends galore, it promises to be a great weekend. Really crappy pictures coming soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment