Shelby Madden

Exploring my limits with a bike and big (potentially dumb) ideas!

A World in a Word

Since I took almost no pictures of the happenings at Wildflower, I'm waiting to blog about it until CAF posts some of their pictures so I can rip them off, HA! Until then, I wanted to share my friend Liz's blog with you because I love it and she has inspired me. Liz chooses one word a day that inspires her to write and reflect. It's fun to watch her at work when a word is mentioned and I see a little "Scooby Doo" look come across her face, leaving me to wonder if that will be her word for the day. Liz is a great writer and her reflections are funny, humbling, candid, inquisitive and always honest.


In the process of developing her blog, Liz also came across another person's blog that encouraged the same type of awareness through the idea of a mental picture per day. I love this idea and find myself scanning the world constantly for the image that gives me pause (or makes me laugh) and that I want to remember. What's great is I find there is almost always more than one image that sticks with me. Originally, I wanted to record this with a photo each day but I'm finding that often times the image is a collection in a field of vision that my Blackberry just can't assume or one that disappears before I can capture it. So, I probably won't be sharing my image reflections as Liz is sharing her words but that's okay. The mere introduction of the idea has given me a heightened awareness of my surroundings and the desire to be constantly present; it's really amazing how much you see when you're looking.

I would encourage you to try one of these ideas on and notice how your interaction with the world shifts slightly. It's amusing if nothing else. AND, I would encourage you to bookmark Liz's blog, A World in a Word, so you can enjoy her relationship with words as much as I am!

4 comments:

Anonymous May 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

Wow! What a wonderful post...

Phaedra Cote May 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

I love Liz's blog. I will visit often.

As far as Wildflower and you, I'm so sad I wasn't there. It makes me all weepy to think about your accomplishments, Shelby. I am so proud of you. I understand the amount of tenacity and determination it takes you to accomplish what you do, and even I (at times) forget just how miraculous it is because of your attitude. You amaze and inspire me. And even though I don't say it enough, I'm your biggest fan. Get here soon so we can play.

Love you.
P.

Troy Nelson May 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

Sorry, I was too busy drinking beer to take any pictures.

Shelbyyy@gmail.com May 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

dangit, Troy! Why is it always beer thirty for you. I needed a photographer!
Thanks for all the encouragement, P. I'm wearing your team jersey as well!

Post a Comment