Shelby Madden

Exploring my limits with a bike and big (potentially dumb) ideas!

Quick Ketchup on the Blob


I put this picture in here because it makes me laugh and I had no other place to put it. This is me volunteering at the first ever California Golden Beer Mile. I volunteered because I know my limits but I'm all about helping others find theirs. My participation in such an event would be the equivalent of me signing up for an Ironman and really, as in most races, when you're actually competing you miss a lot of the happenings and there was no way I was going to miss this

On their mark...

First of four beers, down...

1st female, Erin Merz, checking her time and fully prepared with Garmin and RoadID

Sprint finish between Liverstrong guy and Brian Wrona as "Your Beer of Choice."

Liverstrong got him but he did just finish the SuperSeal only hours earlier so it was still an impressive showing by Mr. Beer of Choice.

Spring break has been a whirlwind of visiting friends and family, birthday parties, a baby shower (a new niece only weeks away!), bike riding and fundraising.

At some point in the midst of all of this, I met up with my friend Scout so I could pick up her bike. Holland Cycles needed it for the custom bike show the following week which meant I would have a few days to play around on another really cool bike that was just my size- that never happens! Our bikes are very similar only Scout's bike has faster wheels, aero-bars and the real kicker, Shimano Di2 components with the cables all hidden neatly inside the frame. Here's Scout's little Holland; he's a talented man, that Bill. I had a blast riding her speedy little bike; there's never a time when I get to ride someone else's bike and to have it be a unique experience was a major bonus. I'm totally sold on the electric shifting and I don't even care if that makes the purist want to puke. They're fun. And when I'm rich, I'll buy them for myself and all my friends. Except the purist.

I still wouldn't trade the Orange Crush for the world but the few (ahem) miles I rode Scout's ornament were also super fun. Don't they look sweet hanging out together?! I can hardly wait for us all to ride this weekend- Me, Scout, and a coupla wee whips.

The Cooper-Scotts came down from Spokane and did a repeat performance of last year's spring break only this time, instead of celebrating Lily's birthday, we got to celebrate Aaron's. Inspired by the book, "Cake Wrecks" we decided to make a cupcake-cake wreck of our own.

Haley and Lily did all the work and what really impressed me was that it was made entirely from scratch. I've never done that, I'm more of an add-oil-and-eggs-to-box, girl. Well, truth be told, I did attempt it once with Phaedra, years ago, because it sounded like a good idea at 3am, but the results were disastrous. I have a vague recollection of the fire alarm going off and us being too short to reach it but I could be making that up-it's happened more than once in my life.
I have to say, as far as wrecks go, Haley and Lily did an awesome job with this...wait for it ............bear! It's design was mostly dictated by the number and shape of the cupcakes but we also told Aaron it was inspired by his favorite animal. (I'm pretty sure he has never said a bear is his favorite animal but there was a six year old involved so you do what you have to do).

Notice the old cookie sheet. I think it really seals the deal on the wreck. You also really need to read the book to fully appreciate the beautiful disaster commonly known as the cupcake-cake.

I love this springtime business; it's the perfect time of year. It feels like I'm walking into a party early and and then it blows up into summer fun! Along with spending time with a few friends and family, I've been able to get some great riding in and have been spending tons of time pulling together the fundraiser for CAF this weekend. We're still doing last minute planning but it's looking like a great time ahead. The support and donations have been phenomenal. This show has definitely hit the road! Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Troy Nelson April 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

Did you look up that nice man's skirt?

Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous June 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous June 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment