Shelby Madden

Exploring my limits with a bike and big (potentially dumb) ideas!

"Tour de Tequila: Stage 1"

Several of my friends suggested I throw a wine tasting party as a fundraiser. I thought it was a great idea but wine hurts my head so that made it a relatively bad idea, until I turned it into an event that I could handle... tequila tasting! Since I'm raising money for a forever-long, charity, bike ride, I decided to call the fundraising event the "Tour de Tequila," even though the only thing being "toured" were various regions in Mexico as experienced through their distilled agave products. To do this, I hooked up with the owner of a local tequila bar, Cantina Mayahuel, and put together a tasting where participants got to experience 6 different tequilas with lunch. The idea made so much sense at the time of origin and would have continued to make sense had I not hung out late with friends afterward...ayayay.

It was storming the night before and rain was expected that day so I was a little worried about how things would turn out. I was hoping to have the tasting outside since the patio is really my favorite part of the bar/restaurant and as luck would have it, we had perfect weather! (I did something right somewhere along the line). There were about thirty souls braving the tasting and in the process, I think I may have converted a few people into tequila lovers. No one thinks they like tequila until they try good tequila...and then others, just can't get past the first sip...no matter what (Anne!).

Pictures tell the tale

This is the incredible support crew that showed up early and stayed late helping to make sure things ran smoothly. Debbie Rogers, Anne Fleming, Liana & Pearl Simonelli, Liz Pappas, and Sally Johnson. I seriously couldn't have done it without them!

While Pearl was busy helping at the registration table, her big sister, Liana, set up shop selling her earrings. So far, she has raised over $100 dollars for CAF through her earring sales! These two little friends of mine had no problem jumping on the CAF boat; I'm really proud of them both and I know their parent's, Liz and Danny, are too!

Mike and Kathy Kenney with their other friend, Mike, who stopped in on his way to a ship in Hawaii. He found out about the event on Facebook and RSVP'd unbeknownst to them. It was a cool surprise.

Vikki and her husband Kyle, goin' in! Vikki organizes the Million Dollar Challenge ride and does a phenomenal job doing it.

Were I one to not take responsibility for my actions, I would be blaming this crew for my inability to function the following day: Rosie, Ray, Elvia and Martin...before the mayhem.

Guillermo and Marina Escobedo meet "Cowboy," a Million Dollar Challenge friend from the 2009 ride, and his son, Chance. Cowboy donated his 50/50 raffle winnings right back to CAF. He's just like that and I was floored by the offer. OH! But please don't feel like you have to be a Cowboy at future events- please, take the money and run!

Of course there were Tri Club of San Diego friends present! Here are just a few...Nancy, Kim, Linda and Amy. These ladies are never short on words of encouragement. I really appreciated their presence.

Bar owner, Aaron, in the background educating my people.

Ron Johnson and his daughter, Carrie. Carrie is a two-time Olympian racing the flat water kayak and will no doubt be seen again in London. She's doing this despite an ongoing battle with Crohn's disease; she's one cool chick!

Zabel and I have been buddies for a loooooong time which was one of the best parts about hosting this fundraiser. It was the perfect reason to bring some of the great people in my life together!

One last shot of the fabulous volunteers. They looked cute so I had to add it!

And finally, my dad used to say, "If you want it bad enough, you'll figure out a way to get it." It's great advice and as it turns out, applies to every aspect of my life.

Guess it doesn't take a genius to figure out what I was after on this one.

The "Tour de Tequila" turned out to be a great event overall and we were able to raise over $600.00 toward my fundraising goal of $10,000! This thanks to the unbelievable generosity of my friends, old and new, and their willingness to rally for a great cause (and the tips I grabbed off the tables on the way out and the guy I mugged on the corner as we were leaving...). I joke!
I definitely recognize how fortunate I am to have the influence of such good people in my life. With that said, since one can't have a "tour" with only one "stage," I'll be hosting the "Tour de Tequila: Stage 2" in early summer. Be ready to sign up early and come on out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment