Shelby Madden

Exploring my limits with a bike and big (potentially dumb) ideas!

GU'S in the Hou-(scratch that) Apartment!

I passed on the after-work happy hour today because I had a feeling I would see something like this when I got home and I couldn't wait. That's sayin' somethin' cuz this sister loves herself an opportunity to commune with friends but take a look at what Haley and Brooke (Marketing Manager for GU), delivered!

A sampling of the delivery!
I love GU Chomps. I have to resist eating them like candy and think I've finally learned my lesson not to eat them as such; I've had one too many sleepless nights as a result of eating a few Chomps before bedtime. You probably already know this but Chomps have a purpose and serve it very well; however, a candy substitute/sleep aide they are not, trust me.

Shortly after tearing open the GU boxes, I remembered that today was the day I got my first CSA delivery. For those of you that may not be familiar, CSA or Community Supported Agriculture, is a way for consumers to buy seasonal food from a local farmer. I've been wanting to try this out for a couple years now and my friend Kathy finally tipped the scales for me. She picked up my first box and this is what I found waiting on her doorstep:

I displayed it all pretty-like for you :)
I love it! I love the colors and the smells of it all, but now I'm pacing. I have NO idea what to do with it. I ate a carrot. It was fun. ' Tasted like a carrot only it was red and little, which made me want to eat it, unlike the everyday carrot I buy in the store. I also had a stalk of celery-crunchiest stalk of celery I've ever had but now what? I can't actually eat it all raw, (baby steps) so the next thing is to cook with it. HA! I am SUCH a glutton for punishment and may as well put flyers on the neighbors mailboxes to warn them-might even put a call in to SDFD while I'm at it. Regardless, Kathy and Haley both emailed me with enthusiastic ideas on what to do and being a sucker for a well sold product, I have a new found confidence-based on absolutely nothing even remotely close to reality- in my cooking.

I'll let you know how this plays out. For now, I am Healthy Eater Girl, super human in my attempts to support local agriculture!



2 comments:

Kathy Kenney February 12, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

I love the girl at the bottom kicking Monsanto! Awesome. I just ordered a video called "The World According to Monsanto". Wasn't on Netflix, so had to buy. We can watch together, or you are totally welcome to borrow it. Let me know if you've never cooked with leeks. Cleaning them is interesting. SO excited for you on many fronts.

Kelli Rydeen and Family February 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM  

Shelby, I am with you on the freash fruits and veggies. I buy good stuff all the time and each time I bring it home, I have empty the old rotting good stuff because I just don't know what to do with it. I think I am more of an idea girl then a doer girl.

Post a Comment