Shelby Madden

Exploring my limits with a bike and big (potentially dumb) ideas!

Lesson Learned from the Chemically Induced

Shortly after I moved-in to my new apartment, my neighbor informed me there had been a few robberies in the area and that I should be careful about leaving my front door open. I felt safe and chalked it up to paranoid, (although well intended) ramblings. I grew up in a house that was always open for the world to stop by and hang out. The doors were literally open all the time. Since then, I've always felt a little claustrophobic when I close up my house.

So, despite the warning, I went about my usual business leaving my doors and windows open whenever I was home. One thing I've been been meaning to do is get renter's insurance. I keep procrastinating but know that if my bike was ever stolen, I couldn't replace it and would be heartbroken. I don't think I've ever been so attached to a material possession before in my life but my bike has been such a gift all the way around, to lose it would be life altering and that's me trying not to be dramatic.

Anyway, last night at about 9:15, I left my door open while I ran out to grab my laundry. As I was coming back into my courtyard, I ran into a guy that was in a hurry to get out. I knew he didn't live here so I said hello to him, because that's polite, and he said hello to me. I thought we had quite a connection, a spark maybe? However, he seemed rushed, fidgety and a bit shy as he wouldn't look directly at me. That's when it hit me that something was definitely off with this guy, 'cuz I'm quick like that. So, it wasn't a spark I felt at all! Just your run of the mill tweeker being "tweeky."

He definitely appeared to be hiding something under his arm and as soon as I walked in my door, I knew something was not right. My cat was totally freaked and my heart was racing as I looked for my bike. In hindsight, my bike is small but I hardly think it would fit under the arm of a 5 foot nothing crackhead. When I found it, I was just super relieved and figured I was being paranoid. Two hours later, I got emails from my credit card company about fraudulent charges and my bank account was also depleted...all twenty dollars of it. Take that Cracker Jack!

So last night my lesson was learned, as every lesson worth learning seems to be for me, the hard way. Well, truthfully, it was more like a soft boiled lesson but I get it. Close my door when I step out and get renters insurance! I'm on it. Oh, and heed the warnings of others so I don't have to learn everything through experience...but that I can't commit to yet.

After dealing with the details of stolen goods all morning, I went out to do some hill repeats at Cabrillo Monument. My friend Brian is convinced he can make me faster and if nothing else, keep me from hurting myself on the QMDC ride next year. I'm game to let him try if for no other reason than I know I'll get some good laughs in the process. So, if I'm going to go up and down a hill, per his recommendation, this is pretty much the place to do it. The tide pools hill is a fun little decent and the view is amazing. Today was no exception:

The water was incredibly blue and sparkly. Does it translate at all in these pics? Say yes so I don't feel like I have to carry one of those "media access only" cameras on my bike.

Moving on to the swim side of outdoor play, I managed to talk a couple of friends into swimming at La Jolla Shores yesterday because I had heard a rumor the water was warm-always a relative term. Kathy and Tracy are game for almost anything and even if they're not, it's amazing what you can talk them into doing with very little effort. They make for great playmates! Here they are showing up for our first swim in over a month.

Tracy and I were scared as usual. I'm dying to tease Tracy about her shoes but she's fun and I want her to keep playing with me so I have to break her in slowly.

Kathy doesn't seem to get scared, ever.

I was sucking air after less than 500 meters, in a wetsuit no less. The little swim fitness I had is gone like a purse left on a stand next to an open front door. To resolve this issue, I distracted the other two by setting out on a creature hunting mission that would keep us from having to swim too hard. I really need to get an underwater camera so I can take pictures of the critters we see; it's great avoidance behavior!

Anyway, I think I may have sponsored someone's Thanksgiving and possibly filled a stocking or two for Christmas with my encounter last night but at least I still have my bike and I finally learned a lesson that needed to be learned. So with that I say, "Thank you, Tweeker Boy!"

For now, this little is heading off to Colorado for some turkey fun with friends. My biking and swimming will be taking a back seat to eating and drinking for the next few days. I hope you all have a memorable Thanksgiving with at least one person doing something unexpected and bringing you tears with laughter. Or maybe you're in search of something quieter and that's okay too. Regardless, if you are in fact attending a special Thanksgiving gathering of your own, I think it's important to remember these wise words from the award winning movie, "Boomerang:"


Dress appropriately and remember, "You got to coo'dinate!"
(I think I've started something I can't stop with these videos!)




6 comments:

Phaedra Cote November 25, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

I'm sorry I didn't initially believe you that you were robbed. But can you blame me? I love your attitude about the whole thing and I hope that you really did learn your lesson about locking the door. I know I nag you sometimes about these things but it's only because more so than even your bike, you're irreplaceable. So, wear your seat belt and lock your door. I'm glad it was just your (my) purse that was stolen. I won't tell my mom that her 2006 Christmas gift to me is now in the hands of a tweaker.

The ride looked beautiful, I'd like to do that one again while I'm there. I'll bring my underwater camera too, and practice avoidance behavior with you.

Gobble Gobble.
P.

Kathy Kenney November 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

You are a hoot! Love the optimistic attitude you always have even when life throws lemons at you. Love your comment "The little swim fitness I had is gone like a purse left on a stand next to an open front door." You are too funny. So glad I met you.

Anonymous November 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

Shelby, it's nice to see that you gave someone a reason to be Thankful this holiday season. I would have just dropped some coin in the Salvation Army bucket, but hey giving a tweaker a purse with a $20 works too.

Be safe.

Kelli

Anonymous December 16, 2009 at 9:18 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous December 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

You re double busted.

Your father

Anonymous February 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

OMG, you crack me up! I know those shoes are ridiculous! I think that’s why I like them…you should have made fun of me. When Dave first saw them, he referred to the Seinfeld episode when Kramer wore those crazy looking shoes and visited the dentist.
I’ve been having so much fun reading your blog! You really are an amazing person and an inspiration! I am so happy to be able to call you my friend!
Tracy

Post a Comment