Shelby Madden

Exploring my limits with a bike and big (potentially dumb) ideas!

I Hope My Parents Don't Find This


Oh man, so here I go, I'm committing myself to a huge challenge but not without a lot of thought put into it and time ahead for preparation. In October of 2010, I'm going to participate in the Qualcomm Million Dollar Challenge to raise money for the Challenged Athletes Foundation.

For the last couple of months, I've had the privilege of mooching off training rides for the 2009 QMDC participants. I've met some great people with quick wits and a love of riding that have inspired me to give this goal a go. (For the record, I think anyone who gets my humor must have a quick wit as the alternative would be far too humbling.)

This "challenge" involves a 7 day bike ride covering about 620 miles from San Francisco to San Diego. The course will involve some long days of back to back centuries and anywhere from 56-89 miles of riding on every other day. The furthest I've ever ridden is 85 miles and I felt every bit of it after 50! I'm secretly hoping for a strong tailwind. In addition to attempting to cover these miles, I will also be raising $10,000 to benefit CAF. Short of working El Cajon Blvd. after hours, I'll need some help with the creativity on how to make that happen. I'm hoping this won't be as challenging as the ride itself!

I know for many of my friends this ride would be a walk in the park but I have to admit, I'm scared. I don’t know if my body can handle this distance but I’m hoping a year of training will get me there. I’ve overcome a lot of physical issues over the years and know I will need to be smart about how I approach this so I don't completely destroy myself in the process; it's not my intention to make this the ride that ends all my riding. Misquoting the Beastie Boys, "Slow and low will be my tempo!"

So there, I've said it. I'm doing it. I can't resist the challenge; I tried to resist but my will is greater than common sense and I would truly rather try and fail than let this opportunity to do something challenging for a kick ass cause, pass me by. With that said, if I was with this year's group in San Francisco right now, getting ready to start the ride, I think I would puke. It makes my stomach flip.

If you have stumbled upon this and I don’t bore you to tears with what’s to come, I’ll keep you posted on the progress and probably make fun of myself and anyone who dares to claim me in the process. Since blogs are better with pictures, I ripped these pictures off from my friend Diane’s page. These were taken during this year’s Million Dollar Challenge training rides. I’m hoping some of these foolios will return for the ride next year:

This is Anne Fleming and I climbing up some long hill on our way out to Ramona. Anne works for CAF and is the one who invited me to join her on these training rides. She's an awesome riding buddy.

Tina on the left is responsible for the incredible SAG support we get on these rides and Vikki in the middle is the coordinator of this event. I have NO idea how she does it; she's amazing!

Diane, ride leader extraordinaire. Words cannot describe the beauty of the sarcasm that comes out of this woman's mouth.

This is our other ride leader, "Hooter," taking a spin on my sled. He makes my bike look like a Christmas tree ornament.

Anne, Vikki, David and I. David is my buddy but he was super crabby this day so I turned on the charm (or rather turned up the "annoying") a bit.

Birds on a wire. How we stay cool in the middle of WheretheHellAreWe. I'm in there.

Why I will never pay for a boob job and why I will never have a secret love child with Fire Marshal Bill. The genetics would be unforgiving.

I'm only putting this one in because I think I look fabulous. I don't tell lies.

Alright, more to come. Holy crud that was time consuming. This blogging concept may actually be harder than the ride and fundraising!


5 comments:

Phaedra Cote October 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

Well, finally!

Shelby, since the first time I met you, you have inspired me. I know you don't want me to get all mushy on your blog but I'm going to just for a bit. Sit on your hands and get used to it. I'm not promising this is the last time :)

You have this amazing ability, not only to inspire others but, you exude a playfulness that makes people just want to be themselves around you. At least that's what you have done for me. Your presence in my life has prepared me to raise a child with his own special needs and challenges, to stand on my own and to be confident in doing so, and most of all, that it's not such a bad thing to tinkle in your pants once in a while. It seems to happen all too often when I'm with you.

I can't think of a better human being to bring awareness to what it means to be "challenged". The problem is, you do such a great job brushing off your challenges that no one really understands just how hard it is to be you. I love that you're taking on the Qualcomm Million Dollar Challenge. It makes me nervous because I understand your little body but more than that, I'm excited...because I understand your mind and spirit as well as the power behind that unstoppable combination.

I love you Shelby. I know you can do this, even if your body isn't quite sure yet.

Love,
P.

Shelbyyy@gmail.com October 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

Hey, are there rules about commenting on my own blog?
This kind of gush will surely be deleted in the future so knock it off! I want 5 paragraphs, not three, slacker. :)
Love you, P. Thanks for being my constant cheerleader and never bawking at any of my dumb ideas.
XOXO, S

Phaedra Cote October 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

You delete my comments and you'll be sorry. Don't underestimate my ability to embarrass you. And don't force me to get creative. I loooove you!

Anonymous October 18, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

I can't say anything even remotely as lovely as Phaedra just did. I guess I gotta learn to get to the blog first, huh? 'Course, how could I have gotten to the blog first when I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT EXISTED? I dunno either. What I will say is ditto to everything (well, all the stuff that applies, anyway) that Phaedra said. I love it that you are riding your bike, and I love it that you love riding your bike, and I love it that you posted that picture of your friend riding your bike. And I thought you looked fabulous in that last picture, too. The funny thing is, we ALL know when people put pictures on FB and blogs of themselves for that reason, don't we? Leave it to Shelby to say it like it is. There's a whole lot of person inside that little body...you'll get 'er done. And to prove the degree of my confidence in you I'll be sending $ toward your goal, if that's an option. Good luck, friend. Love, Laura

Anonymous October 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

Boo! Did you put my cellphone number in your phone yet? I'll be in PA this weekend visiting my youngest son, so won't be able to join in the CAF fun this weekend. I did it last year and it was a blast....

Hope to see you soon; maybe the club meeting tonight?

Ger

Post a Comment